6 Health & Fitness Benefits of Sweet Potato
1. Fill up on fibre
2. Boost metabolic activity and lose fat
3. Get a massive boost of Vitamin AOne of the key nutritional benefits of sweet potato is that they are high in an antioxidant known as beta-carotene, which converts to vitamin A once consumed. Vitamin A is an antioxidant that maintains the immune system and keeps skin and tissues healthy. It is known to be an essential vitamin in eye health and bone growth.
4. Repair connective tissueOne medium sweet potato will provide 25% of your daily recommended intake of Vitamin C; Research has shown Vitamin C is essential for connective tissue repair and may help the body to reverse some of the oxidative damage that occurs from exercise. This is especially important to bodybuilders whose training causes the most connective tissue damage.
5. Fuel your muscles and boost electrolytesA medium sweet potato can provide 12% of daily potassium needs. Potassium is a salt the body uses to help manage several processes, including sweat, nerve functioning, glycogen and fluid management, and blood pressure. When potassium is deficient in the diet, or when the movement of potassium through the body is blocked, your nervous and muscular systems can become compromised. It is crucial to replenish this lost potassium during exercise to keep up maximum performance.
6. Replenish energy and strengthen tendonsEating a sweet potato post-workout is ideal as they contain copper, which can help replenish energy levels and protect the cardiovascular, nervous and skeletal system. It also strengthens the tendons needed to lift weights. Just one cup of baked sweet potato contains 36% of your daily copper needs.
Check out our healthy sweet potato mash recipe below:
- 2 large sweet potato
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chilli
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 handful fresh coriander
- 1 fresh lime
- Chop and peel the sweet potatoes, add to boiling and slightly salted water in a large pot.
- Add olive oil to a frying pan on low heat. Peel the garlic and chop the cloves in half.
- Slice the chilli pepper in half and add the garlic and chilli to the oil.
- When the potatoes are soft (poke them with a knife to check) drain them, then put them back in the pot (heat off).
- Use a spoon to remove the chilli and cloves from the oil, then pour into the potatoes
- Mash like crazy!
- Serve with a dash of lime juice and coriander sprinkled on top.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total cook time: 20 mins
Serves 2 (4 as a side)